As stated in Board Policy 1:30:
The mission of District 64, a vital partnership of staff, families and community, is to inspire all students to embrace learning, discover their strengths and achieve personal excellence in order to thrive in and contribute to a rapidly changing world by providing a rich, rigorous and innovative curriculum integrating civil behavior and fostering resilience.
We believe that:
- All people have inherent worth.
- Quality education benefits everyone.
- Everyone within our community is responsible for the education and development of our children.
- The family environment has a major influence on the development of a child.
- All people can be successful learners and continue to learn throughout their lives.
- A safe, nurturing environment is essential to learning.
- People grow through a variety of experiences, opportunities and adversities.
- High expectations and a positive attitude result in higher performance.
- Both cooperation and healthy competition are necessary to achieve excellence.
- Effort, perseverance and self-discipline are necessary for people to achieve their personal best.
- People are responsible for their actions and honoring their commitments.
- Honesty and integrity are essential to build and sustain trusting relationships.
- Everyone benefits from contributing to the well-being of others.
- Understanding diversity is essential to thrive in an interdependent, global community.
- Change is inevitable and challenges us to grow.
As stated in Board Policy 6:10:
Educational Philosophy & Goals
The District’s educational program will seek to provide an opportunity for each student to develop to his or her maximum potential. The objectives for the educational program are to:
- Foster students’ self-discovery, self-awareness, and self-discipline.
- Develop students’ awareness of and appreciation for cultural diversity.
- Stimulate students’ intellectual curiosity and growth.
- Provide students with fundamental career concepts and skills.
- Help students develop sensitivity to the needs and values of others and a respect for individual and group differences.
- Help each student strive for excellence and instill a desire to reach the limit of his or her potential.
- Encourage students to become life long learners.
- Provide an educational climate and culture free of bias concerning the protected classifications identified in policy 7:10, Equal Educational Opportunities.
As stated in Board Policy 7:02:
General Statement on Student Policies
Each child shall be given equal opportunity to advance to his educational potential. Since children vary widely in abilities, interests, emotional composition and social and economic background, no two can be treated exactly alike if the fullest development of each is to be achieved.
The Board of Education shall provide, within the available resources, quality facilities, a challenging, comprehensive curriculum, and an exemplary staff to meet the educational goals of the District.