|2013-14 Bus Information|
- Bus registration was conducted in March 2013 for continuing students.
- For new students, please obtain a registration form from your school office or the District 64 office, or download a form here.
- Elementary school bus routes are scheduled to start at approximately 8:20 a.m. and leave schools at 3:40 p.m. On Wednesdays, buses will leave at 2:50 p.m.
- Middle school routes are scheduled to start at approximately 7:30 a.m. and leave schools at 3:10 p.m. On Wednesdays, buses will leave at 2:20 p.m.
As part of our efforts to safeguard students, bus routes are not posted to the website. Routes are available at school offices or the District 64 Educational Service Center.
|The 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions|
1. What is the process and time frame required to initiate route or stop changes?
In the beginning of the school year there will be a 2-week adjustment period regarding any route or stop changes, unless there are safety issues or mistakes due to address changes.
2. When do the kindergarten routes or stops for the 2013-14 school year begin?
Kindergarten routes will begin on the first day of kindergarten.
3. What can bus drivers do if there are route or stop issues?
Bus drivers do not have the authority to change routes or stops. All route and bus stop questions are taken care of by the transportation department at the District office.
4. Can middle school students who do not register for bus service, but qualify for free bus service, occasionally ride the bus?
Middle school students can only ride the bus if they have a bus pass and are assigned to a bus. Also, no one can ride on a different route to a friend’s house.
5. Why is it important to sign up for bus service?
The District needs to know where all eligible riders are and what bus they are riding. Registration is extremely important in determining the total number of school buses required each year.
6. Why does the District assign the bus stop or routes and not always honor parent requests?
The transportation program is set up to pick the closest stop to your house and to average out the ridership across school routes as well as the entire District.
7. What is the capacity or total number of students assigned to a bus?
The maximum seating capacity is 71 seats (3 to a seat) for elementary students and 48 seats (2 to a seat) for middle school students on a District 64 bus. Standing while riding is not allowed.
8. What time should a student be at their bus stop prior to pick-up?
Students may need to arrive 5 to 10 minutes prior to their scheduled pick up time, because buses may be early or late due to traffic or weather conditions. Drivers cannot wait for students to arrive at the stop.
9. Does the District offer busing to those students that do not qualify for free service?
Paid bus service is offered for students, if space is available, for those who live between 0.5 miles - 1.5 miles away from school. No stops will be made if you live less than 0.5 miles from school.
10. How does the District bill for paid bus service?
The District does not bill for bus service; payment is due at the time of sign up. You can purchase either one of the following options: full year's pass for $520.00 (per child) or a cold weather pass for $310.00 (per child). Payment plans or options such as paying weekly or daily are not available.