Health & Safety Tips
|Nutrition and Fitness|
The USDA offers tips and tools to create healthier plates.
For fun, easy, and healthy lunchbox options, click here.
Information for Keeping Fit and Healthy:
- Take a look at our health office posters that promote physical activity and good nutrition by clicking here.
- How much physical activity do children need? CDC recommendations
- Click here for 99 Tips for Family Fitness and Fun!
- Learn about the Basics of Healthy Weight.
- Practical Ways to Reduce Screen Time
Other Wellness resources for students and parents - click here.
| Health and Safety Tips
Click here for information about Common Food Allergens and Food Sensitivities.
Learn about Allergy Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Management by visiting the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology (AAAAI) website.
For information about the 2012-2013 flu season, click here.
Find out about influenza, including signs and symptoms, prevention, treatment, and vaccination.
Concussions: Learn more about signs, symptoms, and prevention.
Lightning - Park Ridge Alert System
Do you know what the Thor Guard lightning horn means? Find out here
|Communicable Illness/Childhood Immunizations
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) Pertussis website
- Coughs are a common childhood symptom. To learn about the varied causes, click here.
- Click here for information from the Centers for Disease Control
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC): Basics and Common Questions-Why Immunize?
- Click here for immunization information from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
- Illinois state law requires certain immunizations for children and adults enrolled in child care, school, or college. Read more about state mandates on the IL Dept. of Public Health (IDPH) website.
Head Lice Prevention (PDF of Take Home Memo )
District 64 Health Office -- Head Lice Guidelines for Parents (Revised Dec 08 PDF)
District 64 Parent Guide for Lice Treatment (Revised Dec 08 PDF)
Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Head Lice Web site and helpful information:
- For CDC information specifically for parents (Click Here)
- Facts about head lice (CDC Fact sheet PDF)
- Treatment information (CDC Treatment tip sheet PDF)
- CDC Podcast (runs about 3 minutes): "Talk About Nitpicking! Back-to-School and Head Lice" (transcript also available)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Head Lice
- FAQ's: Cook County Department of Public Health
- Journal of the American Medical Association Fact Sheet
When Your Child Faces Grief: Information for Concerned Parents (PDF)