Board Election 2019
The District 64 School Board will be included in the spring municipal elections on Tuesday, April 2, 2019. District 64 residents will be electing three individuals to serve four-year terms. The seats are currently held by Board members Anthony Borrelli, Mark Eggemann, and Tom Sotos. The D64 Board has a total of seven members. See the current D64 Board here.
The candidates for election to the four-year terms in alphabetical order are:
- Steven Blindauer
- Sal Galati
- Lisa Page
- Denise Pearl
- Carol Sales
- Tom Sotos
As of the resignation of Board member Eastman Tiu effective November 15, 2018, District 64 residents will also elect one individual to serve a two-year term (the unexpired portion of Mr. Tiu's term). In the interim, after a call for applications and interviews, the Board of Education appointed Bob Johnson to serve until the newly elected Board is seated.
The candidates for election to the two-year term in alphabetical order are:
- Gareth Kennedy
- Rebecca Little
Seating of New Board - April 29, 2019
At the February 4, 2019 meeting, the Board scheduled its organizational meeting for Monday, April 29, 2019 to accept the canvass of votes for election of members, administer the Oath of Office for newly elected Board meetings, elect officers and establish meeting dates for 2019-20, among other items to be addressed.
ABC's of School Board Service
was held on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 VIEW FLYER HERE
District 64 hosted an informal coffee and conversation session for interested community members who may be curious about Board service now or at some point in the future. The purpose was to let community members talk informally with fellow community members -- including several past and current Board members -- about the job to get a feel for the time commitment, challenges, and rewards that may not be evident from reading the formal list of responsibilities. District 64 used the Illinois Association of School Boards (IASB) model for a short presentation followed by open Q&A.
VIEW SLIDE PRESENTATION HERE
For more information, contact Public Information Coordinator Bernadette Tramm, 847-318-4343.
The Illinois State Board of Elections has announced that the first day to circulate nominating petitions will be September 18, 2018. The candidate filing deadline dates are December 10 - 17, 2018. School board candidates will file their nominating petitions and paperwork directly with the Cook County Clerk.
Additional election information:
- Illinois State Board of Elections Candidate Guide 2019
- Running for Office Starter Kit website and video - Cook County Clerk [Currently displays November 2018 election information, but is expected to be updated.]
- Key Dates for 2019 School Candidates - IASB
- Getting On & Staying on the Ballot - IASB
Other Resources for Prospective School Board Members
- District 64 Board Members' Code of Conduct, Operating Principles, Training and Overview
- Foundational Principles of Effective School Governance - IASB
- Your School Board & You - IASB - insights for school board candidates and other interested citizens
- Mandatory School Board member training chart - IASB
- Qualifications & Characteristics of a School Board member - IASB