2019-20 Bus Information
Bus transportation route information for students eligible to ride for free is being distributed via email prior to the start of school.
Free bus transportation is available for students (grades K-8) if they live 1.5 miles or more from school or who live in an area that is declared to be hazardous by the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT).
- For new students, please contact the District office 847-318-4308 or via e-mail to determine your student's eligibility for services. Please include the student's name, school, and home address in your message.
- Returning students eligible to ride for free were asked to indicate in the annual Infosnap/PowerSchool registration in the spring whether they intended to ride the bus for the coming school year.
Paid bus service is offered for students, if space is available, for those who live between 0.5 miles - 1.5 miles away from school. Paid riders must use an existing bus stop; no new stops will be added. The cost for paid transportation is $510.00 per student for a full year.
- Elementary school bus routes are scheduled to start at approximately 8:20 a.m. and leave schools at 3:40 p.m. On Wednesdays, buses will leave at 2:50 p.m.
- Middle school routes are scheduled to start at approximately 7:30 a.m. and leave schools at 3:10 p.m. On Wednesdays, buses will leave at 2:20 p.m.
Rules for student behavior may be found within Chapter 3 "Travel To & From School" within the District 64 Student-Parent Handbook.
As part of our efforts to safeguard students, bus routes are not posted to the website. Routes are available at school offices or the District 64 Educational Service Center. Parents receive their student's bus number and estimated time the bus will arrive at their stop.
Contact your school secretary, the District office 847-318-4308 or via e-mail. Or, review the list below of frequent concerns.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the process and time frame required to initiate route or stop changes?
At the start of a new school year, there will be a 2-week adjustment period regarding any route or stop changes, unless there are safety issues or mistakes due to address changes. Individual requests for changing bus stop locations will not be honored.
- When do the kindergarten routes or stops for the school year begin?
Kindergarten routes will begin on the first full day of kindergarten.
- What can bus drivers do if there are route or stop issues?
Bus drivers do not have the authority to change routes or stops. All route and bus stop questions are taken care of by the transportation department at the District 64 office.
- Can middle school students who do not register for bus service, but qualify for free bus service, occasionally ride the bus?
Middle school students can only ride the bus if they have a bus pass and are assigned to a bus. Also, no one can ride on a different route to a friend’s house.
- Why does the District assign the bus stop or routes and not always honor parent requests?
The transportation program is set up to pick the closest stop to your house and to average out the ridership across school routes as well as the entire District. All students are expected to walk to a local stop. Requests to move stops closer to a student's home for any reason are not honored.
- What is the capacity or total number of students assigned to a bus?
The maximum seating capacity is 71 seats (3 to a seat) for elementary students and 48 seats (2 to a seat) for middle school students on a District 64 bus. Standing while riding is not allowed.
- What time should a student be at their bus stop prior to pick-up?
Students should be at their stop 10 minutes prior to their scheduled pick up time; buses may be early or late due to traffic, weather conditions, or the number of students riding on any given day. Drivers cannot wait for students to arrive at the stop.
- Does the District offer busing to those students that do not qualify for free service?
Paid bus service is offered for students, if space is available, for those who live between 0.5 miles - 1.5 miles away from school. No stops will be made if you live less than 0.5 miles from school.
- How does the District bill for paid bus service?
The District does not bill for bus service; payment is due at the time of sign up. Payment plans or options such as paying weekly or daily are not available.