District 64 Superintendent Laurie Heinz has created a new committee to study space utilization at Washington School initially to explore temporary solutions to potential overcrowding for the 2019-20 school year. The committee will meet on April 29 and May 13 from 1-2:30 p.m. at Washington School, and will present its findings at the May 20, 2019 Board of Education meeting. As part of its study, the committee is expected to receive an update from Studio GC architects about the feasibility of modular classrooms at Washington.
The Washington School space utilization committee is co-chaired by Dr. Heinz and Chief School Business Official Luann Kolstad. Washington Principal Stephanie Daly solicited volunteers from both the parent community and staff members to ensure different stakeholder groups are represented.
Other committee members include:
- Parents: Michael Underwood, Holly Schneider and Heidi Auriemma
- Teachers: Katie Weis, Alaina Knapp, Kerry Downes, Diane Kucharski and Caitlin Cooney
- Washington Principal Daly and Washington Assistant Principal Janet Van Arsdale
- D64 Director of Student Services Lea Anne Frost
- D64 Director of Facility Management Ron DeGeorge
- Studio GC Architects
- Board of Education members: Rick Biagi and Tom Sotos
- Dr. Eric Olson, Incoming Superintendent
In addition to its short-term work, the committee also will provide consultative feedback over the summer to administration and Studio GC on longer term solutions in order to get out to bid early in the season for summer 2020 work to be available for the 2020-21 school year.