District 64 IMPORTANT School Schedule Update for Tuesday, January 29
Message from Superintendent Laurie Heinz
To all District 64 Families and Staff:
As you know, our area is facing record weather challenges over the next several days due to forecasted dangerous temperatures and wind chills. I’ve been monitoring forecasts and in communication with local superintendents to help ensure we make timely decisions in the best interests of student and staff safety. But because forecasts can change, we intend to make a decision each day based on the best available information.
Here is the plan for District 64 at this time:
- Schools will reopen on Tuesday, January 29 for a regular day of school.
- Because the National Weather Service has issued a Wind Chill Warning for the Chicago area beginning at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, January 29, all after school and evening events and activities will be canceled, with limited exceptions:
- The Park Ridge Park District’s Beyond the Bell program at the elementary schools will remain open through its normal closing time on Tuesday.
- D64 staff after school focus groups for the Superintendent Search will be conducted as planned and will end by 4:30 p.m. However, the evening community forum scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m. is postponed. We will work with the consultants helping lead the search to find a new date for the community forum. Stay tuned for more information.
- In the next few days, please look for information regarding rescheduled events that have been canceled on Tuesday, including: the District 64 Spelling Bee; student instrumental musical performances at both Lincoln and Emerson; the Superintendent Search community forum; middle school sports events; and the Parents and Teachers Talking Together (PT3) meeting. We will make every effort to reschedule as many of these events as possible and announce new dates as soon as we are able.
As we look to Wednesday, January 30 and Thursday, January 31:
- Maine Township superintendents will review National Weather Service updates on Tuesday. The current forecast indicates the Wind Chill Warning will remain in effect through noon on Thursday, January 31. Therefore, there’s the strong possibility that school will be closed on both days. I will notify you by tomorrow afternoon if school will be closed on Wednesday. As of this time, this is highly likely. I will do my best to notify you on Wednesday afternoon/early evening, if school will be closed on Thursday.
On a final schedule note, the District 64 Board of Education regular monthly meeting scheduled for tonight has been rescheduled to Monday, February 4 (same time and location).
Stay warm this week,
Dr. Laurie Heinz, Superintendent