Board Oath & Code of Conduct
Board Member Oath (Board Policy 2:80)
I, (NAME), do solemnly swear that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office of member of the Board of Education of Park Ridge-Niles Community Consolidated School District 64, in accordance with the Constitution of the United States, the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and the laws of the State of Illinois, to the best of my ability.
I further swear that:
- I shall respect taxpayer interests by serving as a faithful protector of the School District’s assets;
- I shall encourage and respect the free expression of opinion by my fellow Board members and others who seek a hearing before the Board, while respecting the privacy of students and employees;
- I shall recognize that a Board member has no legal authority as an individual and that decisions can be made only by a majority vote at a public Board meeting;
- I shall abide by majority decisions of the Board, while retaining the right to seek changes in such decisions through ethical and constructive channels;
- As part of the Board of Education, I shall accept the responsibility for my role in the equitable and quality education of every student in the School District;
- I shall foster with the Board extensive participation of the community, formulate goals, define outcomes, and set the course for Park Ridge-Niles Community Consolidated School District 64;
- I shall assist in establishing a structure and an environment designed to ensure all students have the opportunity to attain their maximum potential through a sound organizational framework;
- I shall strive to ensure a continuous assessment of student achievement and all conditions affecting the education of our children, in compliance with State law;
- I shall serve as education's key advocate on behalf of students and our community's schools to advance the vision for Park Ridge-Niles Community Consolidated School District 64; and
- I shall strive to work together with the District Superintendent to lead the School District toward fulfilling the vision the Board has created, fostering excellence for every student in the areas of academic skills, knowledge, citizenship, and personal development.
Code of Conduct for Board Members
Illinois Association of School Boards (IASB)
According to Board Policy 2:80, the District 64 Board has adopted the Illinois Association of School Boards’ (IASB) “Code of Conduct for Members of School Boards,” and displays a copy of the Code in its regular Board meeting room.