Board of Education
District 64 is governed by a Board of Education consisting of seven members.
- The Board’s powers and duties include the authority to adopt, enforce, and monitor all policies for the management and governance of the District’s schools. Official action by the Board may only occur at a duly called and legally conducted meeting at which a quorum is physically present.
- As stated in the Board member oath of office prescribed by the School Code, a Board member has no legal authority as an individual.
Board Conduct, Operating Protocols & Training
- As stated in Board Policy 2:80, the Board has adopted a Code of Conduct for Board members from the Illinois Association of School Boards (IASB).
- In addition, the Board has created its own Board Protocols (PDF). These protocols were developed by the Board as a set of guidelines on how members will work with each other and the staff at the District. Nothing precludes Board members from acting according to the law and fulfilling their duties.
- All Illinois school board members must receive training in professional development leadership and the Open Meetings Act.
The Work of the Board & Role of the Superintendent
The School Board employs and evaluates the Superintendent and holds him or her responsible for the operation of the District in accordance with Board goals, policies and State and federal law. The Board considers the recommendations of the Superintendent as the District’s Chief Executive Officer. The Board adopts policies necessary to provide general direction for the District and to encourage achievement of District goals. The Superintendent develops plans, programs, and procedures needed to implement the policies and directs the District’s operations.
The Board welcomes communications from the community. Staff members, parents and community members should submit questions or communications for the Board's consideration to the Superintendent.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.