Highlights of the meeting include:
- Search timeline established to announce new Superintendent prior to Spring Recess - The Board collaborated with representatives from the search firm School Exec Connect to establish parameters for the search and create an overall timeline to identify candidates to fill the position of Superintendent beginning on July 1, 2019. Board members agreed that as it moves forward, the most important consideration is securing the strongest candidate pool and ultimately, the best person to lead District 64. It was further agreed that those involved in the search will hold candidate names confidential throughout the process.
- Community engagement plan launched to develop a New Superintendent Profile - The Board also worked with School Exec Connect on an extensive community engagement plan to develop the profile. The plan includes an online survey through January 31 and evening open forums for all community members on January 29 and 30. The consultants also will conduct several focus groups with D64 staff members and students on those days.
- A Stakeholder/Confidential Committee will be formed to interview finalists - The Board decided to establish a Stakeholder/Confidential Committee to interview the final candidates, and share feedback with the Board before it reaches a decision.The Board expects to appoint 16 members to represent: teachers, teacher assistants and support staff members; school PTO/A groups and the D64 Elementary Learning Foundation; District senior administration; school principals; parents, including one of a child with an IEP; and community members. Candidates for election to the D64 Board of Education on April 2 will be observers. More information on how to be considered for participation on this committee will be provided in coming weeks.
The timeline for the search now includes:
- February 11 - School Exec Connect will present the New Superintendent Profile based on its findings from the surveys, focus groups and open forums to the Board at a special meeting.
- February 25 - School Exec Connect will meet with the Board in closed session to present an initial slate of candidates and select those to be interviewed.
- March 4 and 5 - The Board will interview multiple candidates in closed session each evening.
- March 11 and 12 - The Stakeholder/Confidential Committee will interview the finalists in closed session and provide feedback to the Board. The Board will conduct its final interviews also in closed session.
- March 18 - (The March 11 regular monthly meeting is being rescheduled to this date.) If the selection process is completed, an action item to approve a new Superintendent will be included at the open meeting and the superintendent will be introduced to the community.