The District 64 Board of Education held a special meeting on Friday, July 28th, at the Jefferson Early Childhood Center.
This meeting was an Illinois Association of School Boards (IASB) workshop. Once the Board adjourned from the closed meeting, they returned to the open session to summarize the special meeting.
Board President Dr. Denise Pearl shared some themes from their discussion:
- “The learning of all students, no exceptions, which should drive the Board.”
- “We talked about being a team of eight; with our Board and Superintendent.”
- “Some time was spent clarifying the Board role and how that differs from the staff and administrative role.”
- “We talked about some of the policies which are part of the Board's role. And we talked about specifics and how the Board and Superintendent should make decisions.”
- “Lastly, we talked about internal processes for how the Board will interact, and we will bring those to an upcoming meeting for approval and review."
Board Member Gareth Kennedy described the workshop as a healthy discussion. “I think we had good deliberations, and I thought it was an overall good process,” added Kennedy.
“It was a great start for how we’re going to work together,” said Dr. Pearl.