Health & Safety Tips
Communicable Illness/Childhood Immunizations
Information for Parents:
- Cloth Face Coverings (CDC)
- Talking to your children about Coronavirus Disease (CDC)
- Stress and Coping during COVID-19
- Click here for the latest Centers for Disease Control (CDC) information
- FAQ's regarding COVID-19 (CDC)
- Know the Facts about COVID-19 (CDC)
- Tips on how to protect your family (CDC)
- Social Distancing-What is is, and how to protect yourself (IDPH)
- Advice for Teens and Social Distancing (AdvocateAurora Health)
- Tips to keep children healthy while school's out (CDC page with helpful links to numerous resources)
- How to Clean and Disinfect your Home (CDC)
- Staying safe while using home cleaning products (Illinois Poison Center)
- How to Wear a Face Mask (IL. Department of Public Health)
- Poster: How to wear a non-medical face mask (World Health Organization)
- How to safely wear and take off a face mask (CDC)
- NEW! Holiday gatherings, social events, entertaining: Tips to protect from COVID-19
Information for Students:
- All about Coronavirus: A Video for Kids (University of Michigan, School of Public Health)
- Handwashing video for kids (BrainPop Jr.)
- Coronavirus video (BrainPop)
- Coronavirus: What Kids can Do (Kidshealth.org)
Seasonal Influenza Information
- Information for D64 Families: What You Need to Know about the 2021/22 Flu Season
- The Flu: What to Do If You Get Sick
- Flu Facts from Cook County Department of Public Health
- CDC's "The Flu: A Guide for Parents"
- Is it a cold or is it the flu? Find out more.
- Preventing the Flu: Resources for Parents and Child Caregivers. The American Academy of Pediatrics presents current information.
- Meningitis facts from the American Academy of Pediatrics
- What you should know about meningitis vaccination
- Find out how to protect your family from tick bites and Lyme disease.
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC): Chicken Pox
- Health Department Pertussis information for Washington School Families (1/10/20)
- What is pertussis or "whooping cough"?
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) Pertussis
- Coughs are a common childhood symptom. Learn about the varied causes here.
- Learn about the history of vaccination, how vaccines work, and other interesting facts.
- Vaccines for your Children (CDC)
- Immunization information from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Why Vaccinate Infants?
Safety and Wellness
- It's cold out there!! Information on frostbite and hypothermia
- AVOID, SPOT, TREAT! Tips to prevent frostbite
- An Ounce of Prevention...Tips for keeping germs away in your home
- CPR/AED training video is available for viewing on the Illinois High School Association's website. View here
- Easy tips to fit a bike helmet and where to buy low-cost helmets and have them custom-fitted locally from Advocate Lutheran General Hospital.
- Do you know what the Thor Guard lightning horn means? Find out here
- Sun safety is so important! Click here for tips on sun protection and prevention of skin cancer.
- Heads Up! Comprehensive information about preventing, recognizing, and responding to a concussion
- Information from the CDC regarding Baseline Testing for Young Athletes
- Concussions - Learn more about signs, symptoms and prevention.
- Mosquito bites: symptoms, treatment, and when to call your healthcare provider
- Learn more about bee/yellow jacket stings.
- Information about Common Food Allergens and Food Sensitivities
- Get an overview of food allergies by visiting the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology (AAAAI) website.
- Helping your child cope: Tips for parents
- Rainbow Hospice - When Your Child Faces Grief: Information for Concerned Parents
- Bereavement resources for families
- District 64 Head Lice Brochure for parents
- General information about head lice
- CDC Head Lice information for parents
Nutrition and Physical Fitness
- Make healthy choices throughtout the year! MyPlate.gov.
- Learn more about nutrition for school-aged children.
- Nutrition information for preschoolers
- Nutrition for children with food allergies
- Snacking Do's and Don'ts
- Helping kids plan healthy lunches
- Tips on how to get your kids more active outdoors
- Learn about the basics of healthy weight.
- Practical ways to reduce screen time
- What kids drink can affect nutrition-More on sports and energy drinks here
- Other wellness resources for students and parents
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.