Health & Safety Tips
Communicable Illness/Childhood Immunizations
Seasonal Influenza Information (October, 2019)
- The Flu: What to Do If You Get Sick
- Frequently-Asked Questions about the 2019-20 Flu Season
- Flu Facts from Cook County Department of Public Health
Is it a cold or is it the flu? Find out more.
Preventing the Flu: Resources for Parents and Child Caregivers. The American Academy of Pediatrics presents current information.
District 64 Communicable Disease Planning overview (last updated February 10, 2015)
Includes ongoing procedures, suspected outbreak protocol, actual outbreak protocol
Pneumonia (November 1, 2019)
- Meningitis facts from the American Academy of Pediatrics
- What you should know about meningitis vaccination
- Find out how to protect your family from tick bites and Lyme disease.
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC): Chicken Pox
- Health Department Pertussis information for Washington School Families (1/10/20)
What is pertussis or "whooping cough"?
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) Pertussis
Coughs are a common childhood symptom. Learn about the varied causes here.
Vaccines for your Children (CDC)
Safety and Wellness
- It's cold out there!! Information on frostbite and hypothermia
- AVOID, SPOT, TREAT! Tips to prevent frostbite
An Ounce of Prevention...Tips for keeping germs away in your home
CPR/AED training video is available for viewing on the Illinois High School Association's website. View here
Easy tips to fit a bike helmet and where to buy low-cost helmets and have them custom-fitted locally from Advocate Lutheran General Hospital.
Do you know what the Thor Guard lightning horn means? Find out here
Sun safety is so important! Click here for tips on sun protection and prevention of skin cancer.
Heads Up! Comprehensive information about preventing, recognizing, and responding to a concussion
Information from the CDC regarding Baseline Testing for Young Athletes
Concussions - Learn more about signs, symptoms and prevention.
- Mosquito bites: symptoms, treatment, and when to call your healthcare provider
- Learn more about bee/yellow jacket stings.
Get an overview of food allergies by visiting the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology (AAAAI) website.
Helping your child cope: Tips for parents
Rainbow Hospice - When Your Child Faces Grief: Information for Concerned Parents
Bereavement resources for families
District 64 Head Lice Brochure for parents
General information about head lice
Nutrition and Physical Fitness
- Make healthy choices throughtout the year! MyPlate.gov.
- Learn more about nutrition for school-aged children.
- Nutrition information for preschoolers
- Nutrition for children with food allergies
- Snacking Do's and Don'ts
- Helping kids plan healthy lunches
- Tips on how to get your kids more active outdoors
- Learn about the basics of healthy weight.
- Practical ways to reduce screen time
- What kids drink can affect nutrition-More on sports and energy drinks here
- Other wellness resources for students and parents