The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act ensures the educational rights and protection of homeless children and youth, so that they may enroll in school, attend regularly, and be successful. District 64 does not make educational decisions dependent upon a student’s living situation. Please review District 64's letter regarding homelessness here and the District Policy on homeless.
For information on which students are eligible and the rights they have under McKinney-Vento, click here to view a Fact Sheet in English or Spanish. If you have questions regarding homeless status and provision of educational services, please contact: Alicia Schmeisser, Director of Student Services and Homeless Services Liaison 847-318-4300.
Additional information can be found below regarding your child's educational rights:
- Understanding the Educational Rights of Children in Temporary Living Situations: A guide to provide support and ensure success for all students
- Should my child change schools if we are forced to move?
- Brochure in English
- Spanish version is unavailable at this time
District 64 seeks to assist families with accessing resources and services. It is important to leverage every available resource – public and private; federal, state, and local; targeted and non-targeted assistance – to its fullest to serve children and youth experiencing homelessness, and support their educational success.
The community resources below may be of assistance to you:
- Maine Township Agency Directory lists hundreds of agencies in this area that support families in need.
- AHAND (Association of Homeless Advocates in the North/Northwest District) has prepared a referral guide to area resources.
- North Cook Intermediate Service Center provides information and resources to support families in need.
When mental illness is a concern, a list of Chicago area agencies that operate supportive housing for individuals with mental illnesses is available.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.