Student Services Action Plan
The Student Services Action Plan Committee was created to develop both short and long-term goals for the student services team in District 64.
- Clarify and expand the continuum of services
- Seek to improve consistency and methods for greater student growth
- Expand learning opportunities for staff and community
- Foster a culture of trust through relationships
In September of 2022, the District reached out to families and staff to invite stakeholders to engage in the process. The committee was assembled to include representation of all stakeholders, resulting in 30 members.
Led by Director of Student Services Alicia Schmeisser and Superintendent Dr. Eric Olson, the committee met on October 14 & 15, 2022.
The first task of the committee was to complete a SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) analysis and prioritize the needs of student services in District 64. All committee members developed goals on an individual basis to be considered for the future work of our student services team. Committee members reviewed their individually identified goals in small teams and sorted each goal into categories.
The committee met again on January 28, 2023, to review and finalize an Action Plan. The goals identified through the work of the committee are also aligned with the recommendation of the Special Education Audit conducted by Atlantic Research Partners in May of 2022.
The four goals that were established were: seek to improve consistency and high-leverage practices; expand learning opportunities for staff and community; clarify and expand the continuum of services; foster a culture of trust through relationships.
Thanks to the thoughtful and thorough collaboration of the Action Plan Committee, information was shared with the District Administrative Team as well as other groups within the District to refine and develop the goals, objectives, and action plan. Additionally, Dr. Olson and Schmeisser met with special education students from Lincoln and Emerson Middle School to answer questions and get insight into their daily experiences. This was an important opportunity to incorporate student voices into the process.
2023-2026 Student Services Action Plan
- Expand philosophy, structures, programs, roles, and criteria
- Continue to refine co-teaching philosophy practices
- Explore strategies for maximizing inclusion (etc. flexible placing, flexible grouping etc.)
- Complete a comprehensive review of the early childhood program
- Explore models of instructional programs across the District
- Design a framework for calculating minutes and services across all schools
- Seek ways to maximize District’s expansive resources
- Establish a process for reviewing grade-level proficiency data
- Implement a curriculum review cycle
- Establish a consistent process for transitions between settings and programs
- Continue to differentiate training to meet the unique needs of like roles
- Expand parent community learning opportunities
- Expand professional development to include extended coaching opportunities
- Ensure consistency process for developing, understanding, and implementing an IEP
- Review and expand a framework for standardized onboarding, training, and mentoring of new staff
- Support staff in the development of collective efficacy
- Expand family communication and involvement
- Seek to increase staff longevity in student services roles
- Continue to increase inclusion awareness among students, staff and families
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.